London: Blackwood, 1904. First Edition. Octavo. Item #028000
Engraved frontispiece, xv, 258 pages, index, appendices, illustrated with 10 color plates and 10 photogravures. Some plates show the officers through the early changes of the organization from its earliest designation Wynne's Dragoons and 9th Light Dragoons to its official name King William IV announced in the London Gazette, July 24, 1830. The first moves to establish British lancer regiments began six months after the Waterloo campaign. The use of the lance was being debated as to its total value. [see page 29]. Bound in black cloth centrally stamped in gilt with the Queen's royal emblem, finely rebacked in black leather, raised bands with compartments lettered and decoratively stamped in gilt, top edge gilt, endpapers renewed, very light scattered foxing to first and last few leaves. A very nice copy.